Monday, June 08, 2009

Mission accomplished, at last!

I thought I'd drop a short note about our beloved Roger Federer finally fulfilling his dream of adding the Coupe des Mousquetaires to his already large collection of Grand Slam trophies. Not to mention equaling Pete Sampras' haul of 14 Grand Slam titles and completing a career Grand Slam. Talk about hitting three birds with one stone!

The Swiss champ dismantled opponent Robin Soderling in straight sets 6-1 7-6(1) 6-4 in the finals yesterday to win the one Grand slam title that has eluded him for the longest time, thanks to longtime rival, Rafael Nadal's incredible feats on clay in the past four years.

A clearly relieved Federer said of this historic win:

I think that now and until the end of my career, I can really play with my mind at peace, and no longer hear that I've never won Roland Garros.

Now that that gap in his already impressive resume has been filled, one can't help but look forward to the rest of the season and the years to come.

All hail, King Roger the Great! Long live King Roger the Great!
Photo credit: Matthew Stockman/Getty Images (Top) and AFT/Getty Images (Bottom)

No comments: