Sunday, March 04, 2007

I told you so! the prequel

Apparently Federer's more of a prophet than I thought: he did foresee the problems when a player retires from a match in the round-robin. When asked about the round-robin format (for the umpteenth time I suppose) during a press-conference last Sunday at the start of the tournament in Dubai, Federer said:

Well, you know, I remember having a meeting exactly one year ago. We were asked what we thought about it. I thought it actually kind of makes sense, the tournament gets to see the stars twice and everything. I was kind of in favor a little bit of thinking, you know, trying it out really. Then the more I thought about it, the more I saw of it, I was actually not so for it ... We see it now sometimes, if a guy gets injured, he pulls out, he doesn't allow the other guy to come through who actually would have a chance and stuff. To me it seems like it's not the right approach for tennis and I hope it's not going to happen next year.

And he said that wellbefore the Blake-Korolev incident at the Las Vegas Open. It's definitely interesting now to see what the ATP will do after this.

No comments: