Thursday, March 01, 2007

Welcome

Hi. I don't know exactly how many blogs there are out there about the tennis great Roger Federer, but I thought I'd start one myself since anyway I've been collecting news clippings about him from online news websites almost from the day he became No. 1. (I've got an entire directory of text files containing articles I've cut and paste from the Internet!) And in a way, this would be a good time to start one, just after he's set a record for the most number of consecutive weeks at No. 1.

Of course, he's being No. 1 is not the main reason why I've become a fan of his. In fact, I became fan long before he became No. 1 and that was when I saw him play against Schalken during the 2003 Wimbledon quarterfinals. I didn't play tennis and had hardly watched any tennis myself before then but somehow I sensed that he was far and away different from the other players I had seen play and that he could defeat Andy Roddick in the semis and probably go on to win the title that year, which he did! Then his tears of joy during the awarding ceremony further endeared him to me and my friends who were watching and rooting for him. Awww...

No comments: